I was going to write about one thing, until I read some of the prompts on the main blog- and I still might write about it later. But the one prompt that inspired me for at least the first part of my entry is the idea of having a room of my own. It's probably safe to say that I'm not the only one who feels that it is important to have a space of one's own.
Quite honestly, one of the things I look forward to the most when returning back to college is decorating my dorm room. Why? There are two reasons: 1.) it's really fun and 2.) I can decorate it so that when someone walks into the room, without looking at any pictures of me in it, they will know that it's my room. This year, the main focus of my room is the huge Italian flag I have draped on one wall and a map of Italy on the other. This is completely representative of my time abroad in Rome. It was a period in my life in which I will never forget and had made friends there that I plan to keep in touch with for the rest of my life. Along the same lines, there are posters of London that line my walls, which is one of my other favorite places to visit and a city in which I can also recall some great times in.
The second major focus in my room is all of my music posters. As I mentioned in class on the first day, I selected the 80's as the period in which I would have liked to have lived in, mainly because of the music. Music is an important part of my life. I have one wall that is totally covered in posters of The Police, Duran Duran, U2, and Coldplay from the floor to the ceiling. There are also various other items in my room that I could point out and someone would say, "Yep, that's Lauren's room" such as my leopard print futon and my random DVD collection, but all these little thing make up a bigger picture, and that bigger picture is me.
Aside from the decorations, this room is my sanctuary. This is my little home away from home that serves as more of not only a place to sleep, but it's more of an all-purpose room. It's not only where I sleep, but also where I study, socialize, and relax. Despite having many distractions in all different corners of the room, it's where I, believe it or not, study the most. It's comfortable, and I have purposely designed it that way. I find it more conducive to be comfortable and relaxed when it comes to studying, rather than locked away in a sterile library. I reminded of Sander's essay about the center, and in terms of the center for me at Saint Mary's, my room is it. This little room in Le Mans Hall is a room of my own, and without it, I'm sure I would be lost without a center.
The second thing that I'm going to touch upon is this whole aversion to women thing. As I senior, I can say that just about every year I have seen the theme of misogyny rear its ugly head in either one class or multiple classes. While I was reading Woolf, I grew increasingly irritated going through chapter three because I kept seeing sentences time after time that expressed the inferiority of women when compared to men. Some examples include on page 41, "Women are poorer than men because- this or that" and on page 42 it talks about the abuse of women in the history of England, and again on page 46, "Women cannot write the plays of Shakespere." I want to make clear that I am by no means a feminist. But this kind of talk really aggrivates me deep down.
Thinking about it, I can come up with at least two reasons why this sort of backtalk against women really infuriates me. One reason is probably due to the fact that I go to Saint Mary's College- an all-women university. I am surrounded by girls who are doing the exact same thing as the boys across the street, and perhaps we even do it better. I am being taught by female professors that have gone on to get masters and doctorates that some men only dream of doing. As a woman, I am empowered by being here at Saint Mary's because I am surrounded by the success of women and I know that women can do exactly what men can do. Perhaps, I've known that longer than I've realized, which leads me into my second reason why it irritates me that women are given a bad rap. The second reason is because of my own mother, who bothered to start a company with my dad dealing in heating and air conditioning, which is a field that is not traditionally dominated by women. She gave it her best shot and now, it is a successful company. She did this while raising my brother and I, which wasn't easy because we were so young. She often tells me that she would go to meetings while my brother and I played in the lobby of whatever building she was in. In my world, that's a huge thing. The bigger pictures is this: anyone with a mother (all of us, unless some of you were dropped from a spaceship) knows the importance of a mother. And that in itself is the one thing that trumps all male occupations because there is not a price tag you can put on motherhood.
I realized that even since the time of this book was written, women have come a long way and I shouldn't even be stressing about this because it's been proven time and time again that men and women are equal. However, there are still things until this day in 2009 that show that is not necessarily the case. Unfortunately, I don't think that's going to change in the near future.
Great post! Isn't it interesting that, as your post alluded to, "feminism" is like another "F" word? In actuality, if you think all people are equal, if you believe in civil rights, if you believe in justice, you are a feminist! Men are feminists, women are feminists, politicians, kids, artists, landscapers, writers, electricians, managers--all of these people can be and are feminists. It's just a word with one bad rep--which has its own interesting history (people twisting its meaning, giving it a negative stereotype to discourage enthusiastic association).
ReplyDeleteLauren I loved reading your last post! I definitely connected to a lot of the points you made here, especially the studying abroad in Rome, the friends you made there, and your room in Le Mans-decorating, living, relaxing, studying. I was in Rome last semester and it was an experience I'll never forget and i too made friends I know will last forever. Coming back into Le Mans and being able to fully decorate my own room again after living in a hotel was amazing feeling as well, and you captured it perfectly here. I loved living in the Tiziano, but being able to have a room that reflects me is a great thing in coming back to SMC. And I'm a big fan of that fun futon!
ReplyDelete